Idaho Master Thespian's center of chaos

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Adultolescents

OK, I have a confession to make. (deep breath, wringing hands) ,,,here goes,,,

I lived with Mom and Dad until I was 34 years old.

Oh, I TRIED to stay positive about it. I tried to remind myself that in Europe and other countries staying with one's parents was not unheard of. But every time I began to feel better, I would watch Jay Leno and one of his punchlines in one of his monolouges was "He still lives in his parent's basement." It drew a big laugh. My bedroom was upstairs but still,,,,

Then I reminded myself that Ray Romano lived at home until he was 29 and he has turned out ok. But then on one episode of "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" Will Smith said "Fine, live at home until your 30's like the other serial killers!!!" Despondecy.


Then in the spring of 2002 I picked up a Newsweek magazine and one of the articles was on something called adultolescents. It said 5 million people between 24 and 34 still lived at home with their parents. I remember silently cheering and thinking "Maybe I am not such a total social freak after all."

I DO have my own apartment now- almost two years. But sometimes I still feel a little freakish that I am not as advanced as some of my friends and still work in fast food. I try to remind myself I do have a job and I was employee of the year once (if I can be immodest for a minute.) I tell myself, Life is not a race. Everyone has their own journey. Sometimes though it is hard to remember that.

Ps- CONGRATULATIONS KAPHINE AND REAL SUPER GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Greg said…

    "Life is not a race"

    Few truer words have been spoken. Life is too short to worry about some arbitrary social definition of "normal". Are you happy? You certainly seem happy to me. That's all that really matters.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home